Friday, January 22, 2016

Oh Boobies

Boobies has been the main topic since I gave birth. I think everyones favourite question would be have you breastfed. Hows the milk. Hows my boobies. SO awkward. I've never remembered doing so when visiting new mothers, really. You guys should stop asking new mothers this. It only brings pressures, not encouragements. 

Breastfeeding was difficult for me. First, the milk won't come. I've read about mothers who go through c-section would only produce milk 4 days after delivery. Due to this, I allowed the hospital to feed Isaac.. with formula of course. 

Second, when the milk came, it was so painful because I was already engorged by that time. Isaac constantly wants milk and my nipples were getting really sore that I was actually afraid of him waking up. I actually have milk ducts in my armpit. Gross, but apparently it happens to some mothers (Ain't I lucky?)

Isaac wakes up- wants milk-sore nipples-mommy cries

Yes, that was the sequence. Truly a vicious cycle for my boobs. This went on for a few days. It was unbearable and I begin not enjoying having Isaac. At that point, everyone said I need to get the milk out. I had a manual pump but I was clearly clueless on how to use it. My massage lady tried to get them out and yes VERY painful. 

I finally broke down a week after delivery and told Adam, that I would want to see a lactation consultant. We went to the nearest to us (http://www.enjoybreastfeed.com/aboutus.php)  and was advised to get an electronic pump. She did relieve me off my engorgement problem by squeezing my boobs, and pumping at the same time. Again, PAINFUL! 

I did try to direct latch a few times after but I knew I am not producing enough for my growing baby. I pumped in between feeding and I only could get about 3oz if I am lucky, 1 oz on a regular basis. Feeling down, I tried to resort to milk boosters but it didn't work for me mainly because the best milk booster is still the baby itself. Due to feeling sore each time after direct latch, I just decided to rely on the pump, which is obviously a lot more work. 

At this point I am not breastfeeding and it is OKAY. Motherhood is truly not about judging how other mothers do it. Most importantly, I am not going to miss seeing my son growing up by fussing and stressing over something I can't do. 

Will I try to breastfeed my next child? YES, with hope that this experience would aid me at that time. 

Isaac turned 3 months this month and has a healthy BMI of 16


My little brave boy 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I haven't been pregnant yet, I wouldn't be able to understand the difficulties which you have to go through in breastfeeding. But I do heard from others that it is not as easy as I thought it would be and some people experienced it differently as well. I wish nothing but the best for you and baby Isaac <3

idamazlan said...

Thank you so much for the kind wish :)